Maoist issue: Mamata to meet interlocutors
Kolkata: A day after asking the Maoists to
choose between talks and killing, Chief Minister Mamata
Banerjee has called a meeting on Thursday with interlocutors
whom she authorised to explore avenues for dialogue with the
ultras in Jangalmahal.
State secretariat sources said the meeting would be held
at the state secretariat to review the situation arising out
of a spurt in Maoist violence in the three districts of West
Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia comprising Jangalmahal.
Perturbed at the resumption of Maoist violence that took
life of two Trinamool Congress and a Jharkhand party leaders
in the region, Banerjee served an ultimatum yesterday to the
ultras, asking them to choose between talks and killing.
"The two can`t go together," she told a rally at Singur.
At the rally she stressed on her government`s desire to
hold dialogue with the Maoists, saying she had no objection
"if they seek more time for talks. But if they kill innocent
persons and then express a desire for talks then the two can`t
go together," Banerjee had said.
The interlocutors, led by human rights activist Sujato
Bhadra, are recently in Jangalmahal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened