Maoist leader beaten to death in Jhargram
Jhargram: A prominent Maoist leader belonging to the Peoples Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) was on Saturday beaten to death by irate villagers in Jhargram police district of West Bengal.
Hemanta Mahato (20) came to Nedabahara village to take part in a rally organised to protest against yesterday`s arrest of Gram Panchayat member and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader Sukumar Murmu.
Following an altercation, irate villagers beat Mahato to death fearing violence during the rally, Jhargram superintendent of police Bharati Ghosh said.
Murmu was arrested by the police yesterday after a landmine device was recovered from his residence.
Mahato, a prominent Maoist, had three police cases pending against him, Ghosh said.
- GSGMC demands to remove DU book's chapter calling Bhagat Singh a terrorist
- Bizarre selfie craze: 15-year-old boy shoots self in Pathankot, lands in hospital
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video