Maoist leader beaten to death in Jhargram
Jhargram: A prominent Maoist leader belonging to the Peoples Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) was on Saturday beaten to death by irate villagers in Jhargram police district of West Bengal.
Hemanta Mahato (20) came to Nedabahara village to take part in a rally organised to protest against yesterday`s arrest of Gram Panchayat member and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader Sukumar Murmu.
Following an altercation, irate villagers beat Mahato to death fearing violence during the rally, Jhargram superintendent of police Bharati Ghosh said.
Murmu was arrested by the police yesterday after a landmine device was recovered from his residence.
Mahato, a prominent Maoist, had three police cases pending against him, Ghosh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre