Maoist leader beaten to death in Jhargram
Jhargram: A prominent Maoist leader belonging to the Peoples Committee against Police Atrocities (PCPA) was on Saturday beaten to death by irate villagers in Jhargram police district of West Bengal.
Hemanta Mahato (20) came to Nedabahara village to take part in a rally organised to protest against yesterday`s arrest of Gram Panchayat member and Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) leader Sukumar Murmu.
Following an altercation, irate villagers beat Mahato to death fearing violence during the rally, Jhargram superintendent of police Bharati Ghosh said.
Murmu was arrested by the police yesterday after a landmine device was recovered from his residence.
Mahato, a prominent Maoist, had three police cases pending against him, Ghosh said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested