Maoists attack West Bengal security camp; 24 jawans killed
Kolkata: In yet another daring attack, Maoists attacked a joint forced security camp in Sildha in the West Midnapore district of West Bengal that killed at least 24 paramilitary personnel on Monday.
District Magistrate N S Nigam said at least 50 Maoists
on 25 motorcycles and armed with sophisticated weapons swooped
down on the camp.
"At least 24 jawans of EFR have been killed in the
attack on the Silda camp," he confirmed.
"There were 51 EFR jawans and officers in the camp
when the attack took place," IGP (Law and Order) S
Purakayastha told PTI.
Nigam said the Maoists also planted landmines on the
entire stretch of the road leading to the camp.
"According to information available here, nine jawans
were burnt to death and five others were shot dead. We are yet
to get the detailed figure of the casualty," a source said.
The Maoists launched another attack on a CRPF camp at
Dharampur in the district tonight. A group of 40 armed Maoists
attacked the camp at around 8.30 pm in Lalgarh engaging the
jawans in an exchange of fire.
Two companies of CRPF have been rushed from adjacent posts to aid the Sealdah camp. According to Nigam night vision force with
anti-landmine vehicles have been rushed to the camp from
Meanwhile, Maoist leader Kishenji claimed
responsibility for the attack.
"We have attacked the camp and this is our answer to
Chidambaram`s `Operation Green Hunt` and unless the Centre
stops this inhuman military operation we are going to answer
this way only," Kishenji said from an undisclosed location.
He claimed there were at
least 35 Eastern Frontier jawans who had been liquidated and
they had looted sophisticated arms including AK-47, SLR and
mortars from the camp which they set ablaze.
The attack took most of the jawans by surprise as they
were either "whiling away their time in the camp or were busy
in the kitchen cooking", a senior police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!