Maoists incited Nonadanga slum-dwellers: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday claimed that Maoists had a hand in inciting slum dwellers of Nonadanga during a recent protest against an eviction drive and hoped that good sense would prevail upon them.
"Maoists had a hand in instigating slum-dwellers of Nonadanga", Banerjee said in an indirect reference to alleged involvement of Debolina Chakraborty, leader of the Matangini Mahila Samiti dubbed a Maoist front by the police, during the protests on April 8 against the eviction at Nonadanga on the EM Bypass.
Molecular biologist Partha Sarathi Roy was also arrested for allegedly taking part in the protests and released from jail after 10 days following a public outcry.
"We have already announced that we will give them everything if they return to the mainstream", she said.
She said that an NGO was also involved which was seeking to champion the cause of the oustees of Nonandanga.
Banerjee said that outsiders would not be allowed to grab land for the poor at Nonadanga.
"I am for the poor and will always work for them", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?