Monsoons enter West Bengal
Kolkata: The monsoons on Wednesday entered two north Bengal districts even as south Bengal, including Kolkata, continued to sizzle under heatwave conditions amidst reports of several heat-related deaths in the last three days.
"Monsoon has entered Jalpaiguri and Coochbehar, besides Sikkim which will be lashed by intermittent rains in the next 24 hours," Regional meteorological centre Director GC Debnath said.
The weatherman said scattered rains were forecast in south Bengal districts, as also Kolkata, in the next 24 hours as a result of locally-formed clouds which could not be called a pre-monsoon shower.
Heatwave warning was re-issued in Birbhum, Bankura, Howrah and Hooghly districts for the next 24 hours when maximum temperature would be three to four degrees above normal, Met officials said.
Heatwave conditions prevailed in Kolkata during the day with the mercury ruling at little over 40 degrees Celsius till noon. In the evening, however, a short shower brought relief to the people.
But higher percentage of discomfort level would continue to torment tomorrow in Kolkata and neighbourhood, Met officials predict.
Blistering heat and high humidity continued to sweep entire south Bengal, where several heatwave deaths have been reported in the last three days.
Severity of heatwave largely affected Asansol, Kulti in Burdwan district where mercury soared to 46 degrees Celsius yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video