Mother Teresa centenary year celebration begins
Baruipur: Official celebration to commemorate the birth centenary of Mother Teresa Monday began here at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the world`s first cathedral to be co-dedicated to the Mother.
Bishop of Baruipur Salvadore Lobo led a Mass marking the beginning of the year-long celebration in the Baruipur diocese in South 24 Parganas district.
In his homily, the bishop said the Mass was central to Mother Teresa`s life who would attend it every morning before going out to work.
The bishop called upon the worshippers to be channels of peace as the Mother herself exhorted the Missionaries of Charity nuns to be.
"Each one of you can be ambassadors of peace and stop violence in a world that is riddled with so much conflict and violence," the bishop said.
The mass was concelebrated by 14 other priests from various diocese.
Bishop Lobo, who knew Mother Teresa since 1968, had also headed the diocesan enquiry team set up for the Mother`s beatification.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31