Mukul Roy protests petrol price hike
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy led a Trinamool Congress protest march with other party leaders and state ministers in the metropolis on Thursday to protest the steep hike in price of petrol and demand its rollback.
The processionists marched from Hazra crossing in the south Kolkata to the Gandhi statue on Mayo Road in central Kolkata, a distance of about five km under the scorching sun.
Trinamool Congress leader Madan Mitra who is the transport and sports minister told reporters "We did not go for bandh or road blockade to oppose the hike. We are registering our opposition through street protest at the instruction of our leader Mamata Banerjee."
Stating that the Trinamool Congress was a pro-poor party, he said "We are against the price hike. We are the most important ally of UPA, but we have not been consulted. We cannot accept this burden on the common people."
The processionists shouted slogans and carried posters against the price hike of petrol.
The posters demanded that the Centre should reply why the price of petrol was increased and the party would not accept it.
Municipal Affairs ministers Firhad Hakim, Fire Services minister Javed Khan, party MP Subrata Buxi, trade union wing president Dola Sen, chief whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhhya also took part in the procession.
Khan claimed "The message that the Trinamool Congress is on the streets has already reached the Central government. We have heard that the Centre is already mulling partial rollback of the price."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Pakistan to keep border crossing with Afghanistan shut till apology
- Sheena Bora murder case: Court asks CBI to begin arguments on framing of charges
- 21kg tumor removed from 61-year-old man at Gurgaon hospital
- `Very difficult` for Bastian Schweinsteiger to play at Manchester United: Jose Mourinho
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion