Mukul Roy protests petrol price hike
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy led a Trinamool Congress protest march with other party leaders and state ministers in the metropolis on Thursday to protest the steep hike in price of petrol and demand its rollback.
The processionists marched from Hazra crossing in the south Kolkata to the Gandhi statue on Mayo Road in central Kolkata, a distance of about five km under the scorching sun.
Trinamool Congress leader Madan Mitra who is the transport and sports minister told reporters "We did not go for bandh or road blockade to oppose the hike. We are registering our opposition through street protest at the instruction of our leader Mamata Banerjee."
Stating that the Trinamool Congress was a pro-poor party, he said "We are against the price hike. We are the most important ally of UPA, but we have not been consulted. We cannot accept this burden on the common people."
The processionists shouted slogans and carried posters against the price hike of petrol.
The posters demanded that the Centre should reply why the price of petrol was increased and the party would not accept it.
Municipal Affairs ministers Firhad Hakim, Fire Services minister Javed Khan, party MP Subrata Buxi, trade union wing president Dola Sen, chief whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhhya also took part in the procession.
Khan claimed "The message that the Trinamool Congress is on the streets has already reached the Central government. We have heard that the Centre is already mulling partial rollback of the price."
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today