Mukul Roy protests petrol price hike
Kolkata: Railway Minister Mukul Roy led a Trinamool Congress protest march with other party leaders and state ministers in the metropolis on Thursday to protest the steep hike in price of petrol and demand its rollback.
The processionists marched from Hazra crossing in the south Kolkata to the Gandhi statue on Mayo Road in central Kolkata, a distance of about five km under the scorching sun.
Trinamool Congress leader Madan Mitra who is the transport and sports minister told reporters "We did not go for bandh or road blockade to oppose the hike. We are registering our opposition through street protest at the instruction of our leader Mamata Banerjee."
Stating that the Trinamool Congress was a pro-poor party, he said "We are against the price hike. We are the most important ally of UPA, but we have not been consulted. We cannot accept this burden on the common people."
The processionists shouted slogans and carried posters against the price hike of petrol.
The posters demanded that the Centre should reply why the price of petrol was increased and the party would not accept it.
Municipal Affairs ministers Firhad Hakim, Fire Services minister Javed Khan, party MP Subrata Buxi, trade union wing president Dola Sen, chief whip Sobhandeb Chattopadhhya also took part in the procession.
Khan claimed "The message that the Trinamool Congress is on the streets has already reached the Central government. We have heard that the Centre is already mulling partial rollback of the price."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3