Nandigram victims` families to protest at CBI office on April 8
Kolkata: Demanding action against police officers involved in the firing in Nandigram in 2007 that claimed 14 lives, the victims` families will hold a protest at the CBI`s office here on April 8.
"We want speedy justice against the police officers who gave the order to fire on innocent villagers," Trinamool Congress MP Subhendu Adhikari said on Monday, announcing the agitation.
Adhikarai and leaders of the Bhumi Ucched Pratirod Committee alleged that the CBI has not done enough to book the police officers.
Replaying to a question, Adhikari said, "I can say that the present Trinamool regime is sympathetic to farmers and have announced March 14 as Farmers` Day. Let the CBI take action against the guilty officers."
BUPC leader Manab Bera said, "The court had earlier said that the police firing was unconstitutional. Then why is the CBI not taking action against those who have acted unconstitutionally?"
Fourteen people were killed in Nandigram of East Midnapore district on March 14, 2007, after police opened fire on agitators protesting against the then Left Front government`s bid to set up a chemical hub by acquiring large tracts of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead