Nandigram victims` families to protest at CBI office on April 8
Kolkata: Demanding action against police officers involved in the firing in Nandigram in 2007 that claimed 14 lives, the victims` families will hold a protest at the CBI`s office here on April 8.
"We want speedy justice against the police officers who gave the order to fire on innocent villagers," Trinamool Congress MP Subhendu Adhikari said on Monday, announcing the agitation.
Adhikarai and leaders of the Bhumi Ucched Pratirod Committee alleged that the CBI has not done enough to book the police officers.
Replaying to a question, Adhikari said, "I can say that the present Trinamool regime is sympathetic to farmers and have announced March 14 as Farmers` Day. Let the CBI take action against the guilty officers."
BUPC leader Manab Bera said, "The court had earlier said that the police firing was unconstitutional. Then why is the CBI not taking action against those who have acted unconstitutionally?"
Fourteen people were killed in Nandigram of East Midnapore district on March 14, 2007, after police opened fire on agitators protesting against the then Left Front government`s bid to set up a chemical hub by acquiring large tracts of land.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015