Narendra Modi on Mamata Banerjee`s turf, to address rally in Kolkata today
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Kolkata: Gujarat Chief Minister and BJP`s prime ministerial candidate for 2014 General Elections, Narendra Modi, is scheduled to hold a rally here on Wednesday.
The rally is to be held at the Brigade Parade Grounds. This is the same venue from which Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee launched her poll drive.
Modi`s rally today will kickstart the BJP`s Lok Sabha poll campaign in the state. As per reports, the party is expecting a crowd in excess of five lakh for the rally.
The BJP is not a major player in the state and would be pinning hopes on Modi for a turnaround in West Bengal. The party won one seat in 1998 and two seats in 1999 General Elections. In the last Lok Sabha polls in 2009, the BJP bagged only the Darjeeling constituency when Jaswant Singh emerged as the winner.
Meanwhile, the BJP has left no stones unturned to make sure that Modi`s rally on Mamata`s turf is a huge success. It has hosted road shows, organised runs and walks and and distributed specially made `NaMo sweets`. Modi`s masks have been seen wearing by supporters and a `NaMo Jalrath vessel` was also launched to boost the event.
At the same time, hordes of "NaMo tea stalls" have come up across West Bengal, which has been selling tea at nominal rates. The Gujarat CM worked as a tea vendor in his young days and used to sell tea in train compartments. He has often evoked his humble background in his speeches and rallies.
BJP president Rajnath Singh and other top leaders are also expected to address the rally.
Massive security arrangements has been undertaken for the event and Gujarat Police team, along with National Security Guard contingent are reported to be camping in the city. The city police too are looking after the security and CCTV cameras have been put up at important locations. Also, armed personnel will be posted on high rise buildings, as per reports.
The last rally that Modi addressed was in Meerut in Uttar Pradesh on Sunday. Next Sunday, he is scheduled to hold a rally in Kerala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family