Nine held, huge amount of ganja, arms recovered in Bengal
Siliguri: Nine people were arrested and ganja worth over Rs.5 crore, besides arms and ammunition including an AK 47 rifle, were seized in West Bengal`s Darjeeling district, police said Thursday.
The nine accused were dressed in military fatigues and were arrested from Siliguri in the district late Wednesday night in a joint operation by the police and the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
"In a joint operation carried out by the police and DRI, we have confiscated eight tonnes of ganja, a large cache of arms and ammunition including an AK 47, and arrested nine people who were dressed as army officers as they were trying to smuggle the goods to Kolkata from Nagaland," Siliguri Police Commissioner Jagmohan said Thursday.
Police also seized 159 bullets, two rifles, five pistols, over a dozen mobile phones and several fake identity cards.
Jagmohan said the accused hail from Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The police are not ruling out the possibility that an international syndicate may be involved.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged