Nine held, huge amount of ganja, arms recovered in Bengal
Siliguri: Nine people were arrested and ganja worth over Rs.5 crore, besides arms and ammunition including an AK 47 rifle, were seized in West Bengal`s Darjeeling district, police said Thursday.
The nine accused were dressed in military fatigues and were arrested from Siliguri in the district late Wednesday night in a joint operation by the police and the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
"In a joint operation carried out by the police and DRI, we have confiscated eight tonnes of ganja, a large cache of arms and ammunition including an AK 47, and arrested nine people who were dressed as army officers as they were trying to smuggle the goods to Kolkata from Nagaland," Siliguri Police Commissioner Jagmohan said Thursday.
Police also seized 159 bullets, two rifles, five pistols, over a dozen mobile phones and several fake identity cards.
Jagmohan said the accused hail from Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The police are not ruling out the possibility that an international syndicate may be involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi