Nine held, huge amount of ganja, arms recovered in Bengal
Siliguri: Nine people were arrested and ganja worth over Rs.5 crore, besides arms and ammunition including an AK 47 rifle, were seized in West Bengal`s Darjeeling district, police said Thursday.
The nine accused were dressed in military fatigues and were arrested from Siliguri in the district late Wednesday night in a joint operation by the police and the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
"In a joint operation carried out by the police and DRI, we have confiscated eight tonnes of ganja, a large cache of arms and ammunition including an AK 47, and arrested nine people who were dressed as army officers as they were trying to smuggle the goods to Kolkata from Nagaland," Siliguri Police Commissioner Jagmohan said Thursday.
Police also seized 159 bullets, two rifles, five pistols, over a dozen mobile phones and several fake identity cards.
Jagmohan said the accused hail from Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The police are not ruling out the possibility that an international syndicate may be involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog