Nine held, huge amount of ganja, arms recovered in Bengal
Siliguri: Nine people were arrested and ganja worth over Rs.5 crore, besides arms and ammunition including an AK 47 rifle, were seized in West Bengal`s Darjeeling district, police said Thursday.
The nine accused were dressed in military fatigues and were arrested from Siliguri in the district late Wednesday night in a joint operation by the police and the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
"In a joint operation carried out by the police and DRI, we have confiscated eight tonnes of ganja, a large cache of arms and ammunition including an AK 47, and arrested nine people who were dressed as army officers as they were trying to smuggle the goods to Kolkata from Nagaland," Siliguri Police Commissioner Jagmohan said Thursday.
Police also seized 159 bullets, two rifles, five pistols, over a dozen mobile phones and several fake identity cards.
Jagmohan said the accused hail from Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. The police are not ruling out the possibility that an international syndicate may be involved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you