Opposition may boycott WB Assembly platinum jubilee celebration
Kolkata: Amidst likely boycott by the Left parties and the Congress, the three-day closing ceremony of the platinum jubilee celebration of West Bengal Assembly will commence here tomorrow even as the Assembly Speaker urged the Opposition to review their decision.
The ceremony, to be attended by President Pranab Mukherjee and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, marks the conclusion of the platinum jubilee celebration, which began in August, last year.
While the Lok Sabha Speaker would attend the inaugural programme tomorrow, the President would address the valedictory session on December 6.
The Left Front is all set to boycott the ceremony charging the ruling Trinamool Congress with misbehaving with opposition MLAs on the floor of the House and destroying the democratic set-up in the state.
"Tomorrow all MLAs of the four Left parties are going to boycott the platinum jubilee celebration," a Forward Bloc leader who attended today`s Left Front meeting, told PTI.
"The LF Legislature Party will meet the Governor tomorrow and submit a memorandum stating their concerns, the misbehaviour of ruling MLAs and destruction of democratic set up. The Left legislature party will boycott the celebrations," RSP state secretary Khisti Goswami told a news agency.
A sharp division within the Left Front had earlier surfaced after the CPI and RSP advocated in favour of joining the celebration and utilise the three-day special session to voice the Opposition`s concerns in the House, but the CPI(M) and Forward Bloc differed.
The matter was slated to be decided in today`s LF meeting today.
"If they (Left Legislature Party) want to talk to me, I am ready. But it will be really unfortunate if they decide to boycott the programme," Assembly Speaker Biman Banerjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic