Order for CBI probe on Lalgarh firing not passed
Kolkata: The order on a plea seeking CBI
probe into the January 7 Lalgarh firing incident was not
passed today as proceedings were not held at the Calcutta High
Court due to the death of a veteran advocate.
The order, which was scheduled today, is likely to be
passed on Wednesday, the High Court sources said.
Lawyers did not attend court as a mark of respect to
Barun Roy Chowdhury, who died yesterday and a death reference
was held at the court.
Hearing on the PIL filed by the Bar Association of
Calcutta High Court had been concluded on Friday and a
division bench comprising Chief Justice J N Patel and Justice
AK Roy had directed that the order would be passed at 2:00 pm
during the day.
The Association had prayed for a CBI probe into the
firing on villagers at Netai under Lalgarh police station in
West Midnapore district that has so far claimed nine lives.
The petitioners also sought a direction to the West
Bengal government to pay compensation to the kin of the dead
and to the injured persons besides demolition of armed camps
The state government has filed an affidavit opposing the
prayer for a CBI investigation and stated that the CID,
which is presently investigating the case, is doing a proper
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India