Plan to supply subsidized food in Jangalmahal
Kolkata: As part of a comprehensive plan to tackle economic deprivation in Maoist-hit Jangalmahal, the new West Bengal government has planned to distribute subsidized packets of essential food items to BPL families.
"The grinding poverty of the mainly tribal population of the region being the prime cause for the rise of Maoist influence, the distribution of the subsidized food items would come to be of great help for the people," Food and
Supplies Minister Jyotipriya Mullick said.
The small packet would contain five essential provisions in small quantities, including pulses, rice and spices, meant for each BPL family of five heads.
The minister said he was currently holding discussion with prospective distributors in this regard.
A sachet of edible oil may also be distributed to the people in Jangalmahal which consists of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia districts.
He had recently toured the region to see for himself the level of poverty which, he claimed, was "born out of years of neglect by the previous Left Front government".
The minister added his efforts were in line with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee promise of `Food for all` in the region.
Asked if the plan has the potential to draw Maoist ire, the he said, "I am sure that Maoists will not do anything to disrupt the scheme for fear of losing popular sympathy, and if they indeed prove a stumbling block, steps will be taken."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?