Political violence threat to internal security: WB Governor
Kolkata: Expressing regret over the firing
incident in Netai in West Midnapore district in which nine
persons were killed, West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan Friday said political violence in the state was a threat to internal
"Political violence in the state is a threat to internal
security. It is a matter of grave concern. The Netai incident
should not have happened," Narayanan told reporters on the
sidelines of a seminar here.
Asked about the report he was to send to the Centre after
his visit to Netai village near Lalgarh where suspected CPI(M)
armed cadre had indulged in firing on January 7, he replied,
"You should check it out with the Centre and the state
government and not with me."
Narayanan had described the firing incident of January 7
as "a day of sorrow and shame for the state" and had said it
was time for the government to act before reaching a point of
‘EC team’s report this week’
Meanwhile, the six-member Election
Commission team, visiting Lalgarh region of poll-bound West
Bengal, would submit its report by the end of this week on the
situation prevailing there, Election Commissioner VS Sampath
"The team is expected to come back perhaps by the end
of this week. They will submit their feedback to us," he told
The six-member special EC team, led by Chief Electoral
Officer (CEO) of Bihar Sudhir Kumar Rakesh, are on a visit to
the Lalgarh region to make an independent assessment of the
law and order situation following recent political violence
The other members are Zaki Ahmed (DIG, National Crime
Record Bureau), P R K Naidu (DIG, National Crime Record
Bureau) and D K Pandey (ADG, Jharkhand), V S Reddy (DIG,
Andhra Pradesh) and P S Rampassi (DIG, Orissa).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections