President calls for preserving Bengal`s heritage
Midnapore: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday called for preserving West Bengal`s rich heritage and lauded the efforts of the state chief minister in this direction.
Mukherjee emphasised while inaugurating the 175th anniversary of the prestigious Midnapre Collegiate School here that it was everybody`s duty not to let the state`s rich heritage be ruined.
The President said that Mamata Banerjee was doing a commendable job in keeping alive the heritage and assured her of help in "whatever small measure" he could.
Midnapore Collegiate School is one of the oldest schools not only in Bengal, but India as well. Some of Bengal`s luminaries were associated with this school like freedom fighter Khudiram Bose and writers Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Manik Bandopadhyay and Rishi Rajnarayan Basu.
The famous "Anusilan Kendra", the nursery of Bengal terrorist movement against British rule, which was started by revolutionaries Hemchandra Kanungo and Anath Bandhu Panja, had its origin here in this school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report