President calls for preserving Bengal`s heritage
Midnapore: President Pranab Mukherjee on Monday called for preserving West Bengal`s rich heritage and lauded the efforts of the state chief minister in this direction.
Mukherjee emphasised while inaugurating the 175th anniversary of the prestigious Midnapre Collegiate School here that it was everybody`s duty not to let the state`s rich heritage be ruined.
The President said that Mamata Banerjee was doing a commendable job in keeping alive the heritage and assured her of help in "whatever small measure" he could.
Midnapore Collegiate School is one of the oldest schools not only in Bengal, but India as well. Some of Bengal`s luminaries were associated with this school like freedom fighter Khudiram Bose and writers Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Manik Bandopadhyay and Rishi Rajnarayan Basu.
The famous "Anusilan Kendra", the nursery of Bengal terrorist movement against British rule, which was started by revolutionaries Hemchandra Kanungo and Anath Bandhu Panja, had its origin here in this school.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement