TMC gains absolute majority in two civic bodies
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Thursday claimed Congress and Left councillors in two municipalities in West Bengal have joined the party, giving it an absolute majority in both the bodies.
"Eight councillors, including the chairman and vice-chairman, from Congress and one from the CPI(M) in Pujali Municipality in South 24 Parganas have joined the Trinamool Congress," party all-India general secretary Mukul Roy told reporters here.
"Four Congress councillors of Uluberia Municipality in Howrah district have also joined the Trinamool Congress," Roy said.
Councillors of some other municipalities and panchayat members belonging to opposition parties have earlier joined the ruling Trinamool Congress in a trend which was seen in different parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- ArcelorMittal to pay $110 million fine for price fixing in South Africa
- Sisodia attacks PM on 'killer' Chinese manjha, demands ban on import
- India seeks Iraq help in release of abducted Indians
- No more at risk! Three rare Channel island fox subspecies removed from endangered list
- Christie's exhibition to highlight works of Raza, Gaitonde