TMC gains absolute majority in two civic bodies
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Thursday claimed Congress and Left councillors in two municipalities in West Bengal have joined the party, giving it an absolute majority in both the bodies.
"Eight councillors, including the chairman and vice-chairman, from Congress and one from the CPI(M) in Pujali Municipality in South 24 Parganas have joined the Trinamool Congress," party all-India general secretary Mukul Roy told reporters here.
"Four Congress councillors of Uluberia Municipality in Howrah district have also joined the Trinamool Congress," Roy said.
Councillors of some other municipalities and panchayat members belonging to opposition parties have earlier joined the ruling Trinamool Congress in a trend which was seen in different parts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’