TMC is transparent: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her party was transparent and there was no need to take money from the government exchequer.
"We do not need money from the government exchequer to build our party coffers. Many people say many things against TMC. I only say that ours is not a greedy party. There is no place of greed here," she said at a programme here.
Banerjee`s, whose statement was apparently directed to the party leaders and workers, said "I do not want a single paise from the party. I paint and sell my paintings to meet the party election expenses".
She has not taken a single paise as yet from her salary as chief minister.
Referring to corruption, she said "Out of 100 paise meant for people`s welfare projects, 40 paise is drained due to corruption and another 40 paise goes to party funds. Then how will the government work?"
"You cannot eradicate everything in a day. It will take time," she added.
Banerjee`s comments were also seen as assuring industrialists, whom she is wooing to invest in West Bengal.
"Corruption will not be tolerated at any cost. It will lead to ouster from the party. Anyone indulging in corruption irrespective of position in the party will not be spared," she had said recently days after publicly asking industry not to pay those seeking money on behalf of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read