TMC is transparent: Mamata Banerjee
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her party was transparent and there was no need to take money from the government exchequer.
"We do not need money from the government exchequer to build our party coffers. Many people say many things against TMC. I only say that ours is not a greedy party. There is no place of greed here," she said at a programme here.
Banerjee`s, whose statement was apparently directed to the party leaders and workers, said "I do not want a single paise from the party. I paint and sell my paintings to meet the party election expenses".
She has not taken a single paise as yet from her salary as chief minister.
Referring to corruption, she said "Out of 100 paise meant for people`s welfare projects, 40 paise is drained due to corruption and another 40 paise goes to party funds. Then how will the government work?"
"You cannot eradicate everything in a day. It will take time," she added.
Banerjee`s comments were also seen as assuring industrialists, whom she is wooing to invest in West Bengal.
"Corruption will not be tolerated at any cost. It will lead to ouster from the party. Anyone indulging in corruption irrespective of position in the party will not be spared," she had said recently days after publicly asking industry not to pay those seeking money on behalf of the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!