Trade Unions are untouchables for Manmohan Singh: Gurudas Dasgupta
Kolkata: Accusing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of treating trade unions as `untouchables`, CPI leader and AITUC general secretary Gurudas Dasgupta today said the two-day general strike called by them this month is a wake up call for the `anti-people` UPA regime.
"Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has all the time for the big corporates. He has time for Vijay Mallya. But he doesn`t have time for workers and trade unions. For him the trade unions are untouchables," Dasgupta said at a function here.
CITU, INTUC, AITUC, BMS and Left-backed banking sector unions have jointly called the countrywide general strike opposing financial sector reforms and allowing FDI in retail on February 20 and 21.
Dasgupta alleged that the UPA government is no longer afraid of Parliament as it uses several tactics to undermine it and events from Anna Hazare`s campaign to Delhi rape protests has shown that the government is afraid only of public protests.
"It is true that never before a two-day countrywide general strike has been called in our country. But at the same time it is also true that never before have we seen such an anti-people government, such price rise, such oil price hike. It is a wake up call for the Centre."
Referring to West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s opposition to the strike, he said, not only the central trade unions, but the trade unions of BJD, Shiv Sena, DMK and many others are also supporting it.
"When Trinamool Congress opposes policies of the Centre then it`s ok. But when we opppose then it`s wrong. We appeal to everybody to support our strike call. It is not a strike against West Bengal government but against the union government," he added.
Dasgupta said holding the strike on February 21, which was International Mother Tongure Day, was a political compulsion for the trade unions as it was the day the Parliament will start its Budget session.
"We have no differences with the literary bodies, who want to celebrate the day. If they want to celebrate, we will not stop them.
"We have no differences with language. But you should also remember this protest (strike) is symbolic to the language of protest," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'