Trinamool denies involvement in Burdwan attack
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress Wednesday denied
involvement in the killing of two senior CPI(M) leaders in
Burdwan town, claiming the two were victims of "mob fury".
Party leader and Law Minister Moloy Ghatak said,
"Trinamool Congress was not involved in the incident. The two
CPI(M) leaders Pradip Tah and Kamal Gayen were victims of mob
fury after armed processionists went on the rampage in the
Ghatak claimed that Tah, a former CPI(M) MLA, was
leading an "armed procession" which was taken out without
permission in Dewanadighi area of the town in support of the
February 28 industrial strike call when the processionists
removed a Trinamool Congress flag.
"When Trinamool Congress worker Bidyut protested, he was
severely beaten up by the processionists who also went on the
rampage in the nearby areas.
"A small police team arrived to pacify the people and
there was a scuffle over the removal of the Trinamool flag,"
"Enraged at this, residents of the area resisted in which
Pradip Tah and Kamal Gayen were injured and later died.
Many people also received injuries in the attack by CPI(M)
procesionists," the minister said.
"We have seen incidents like this at Nandigram and Singur
and I think that CPI(M) workers became encouraged by the
turnout at their Brigade Parade ground rally last Sunday,"
Asked about the FIRs filed in connection with the
incident, he said, "We have seen that selectively Trinamool
Congress workers were named in the FIR. The police will
inquire about the real accused."
The minister, however, conceded that each death was
shocking and the incident alarming.
The minister said he would leave for Burdwan and stay
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?
- After Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Laurent Blanc too leaves Paris Saint-Germain: Report
- Global warnings on Brexit consequences