Uma Bharti kicks off `Ganga Samagra Yatra`
Ganga Sagar (WB): BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday kicked off her `Ganga Samagra Yatra` from Ganga Sagar, the place in Bay of Bengal where holy Ganga meets the sea.
"I invite people from all communities and all political parties to be a part of this campaign to make Ganga pollution free," Bharti, who is also demanding national heritage status for the river, said here in South 24 Parganas district.
Expressing resentment against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for not allowing her to hold any public rally, she said, "I was not allowed to address people over here. This is a complete non-political initiative."
During the day, the former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh was not allowed to get down from her vehicle at Kulti.
Protesting against the state government`s decision, Bharti had earlier written to Banerjee urging her to reconsider the decision, claiming that restrictions will "adversely affect" the motive of her yatra.
The 39-day-long yatra will end at Gangotri on October 28 after travelling through five states from where the river Ganga passes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees