Uma Bharti kicks off `Ganga Samagra Yatra`
Ganga Sagar (WB): BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday kicked off her `Ganga Samagra Yatra` from Ganga Sagar, the place in Bay of Bengal where holy Ganga meets the sea.
"I invite people from all communities and all political parties to be a part of this campaign to make Ganga pollution free," Bharti, who is also demanding national heritage status for the river, said here in South 24 Parganas district.
Expressing resentment against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for not allowing her to hold any public rally, she said, "I was not allowed to address people over here. This is a complete non-political initiative."
During the day, the former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh was not allowed to get down from her vehicle at Kulti.
Protesting against the state government`s decision, Bharti had earlier written to Banerjee urging her to reconsider the decision, claiming that restrictions will "adversely affect" the motive of her yatra.
The 39-day-long yatra will end at Gangotri on October 28 after travelling through five states from where the river Ganga passes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon