Uma Bharti kicks off `Ganga Samagra Yatra`
Ganga Sagar (WB): BJP leader Uma Bharti on Friday kicked off her `Ganga Samagra Yatra` from Ganga Sagar, the place in Bay of Bengal where holy Ganga meets the sea.
"I invite people from all communities and all political parties to be a part of this campaign to make Ganga pollution free," Bharti, who is also demanding national heritage status for the river, said here in South 24 Parganas district.
Expressing resentment against Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for not allowing her to hold any public rally, she said, "I was not allowed to address people over here. This is a complete non-political initiative."
During the day, the former chief minister of Madhya Pradesh was not allowed to get down from her vehicle at Kulti.
Protesting against the state government`s decision, Bharti had earlier written to Banerjee urging her to reconsider the decision, claiming that restrictions will "adversely affect" the motive of her yatra.
The 39-day-long yatra will end at Gangotri on October 28 after travelling through five states from where the river Ganga passes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Jurassic World 2' to begin production in Hawaii next year
- Liam Payne will reunite with One Direction, says his sister
- Orlando Bloom 'happy' for Miranda Kerr
- Planning to visit Africa? Check out these top 5 places for sure
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone meets Ranbir Kapoor, Fawad Khan on 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' sets?