WB govt denies permission to Modi for civic meeting
Kolkata: A civic reception for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi planned by BJP at a stadium in Kolkata during his visit on April 9 has been denied permission by the Mamata Banerjee government, the party on Tuesday alleged.
The BJP claimed that in mid-March, it was told by authorities of government-run Netaji Indoor Stadium that the venue was available for the event but later on it was told that booking was not open on that date.
"We wanted to give a civic reception to Narendra Modi on April 9 at Netaji Indoor Stadium, but we were told that booking was not available on that date," state BJP spokesman Ritesh Tiwari here said.
State party President Rahul Sinha wrote a letter to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee requesting her to see that the stadium was made available for a civic reception programme for Modi who is a guest.
"But someone from CM`s office informed us that the stadium could not be made available on that day since it was booked by a private party long back," Tiwari said adding that now the state BJP would hold a party workers` convention with Modi at Mahajati Sadan in Kolkata.
The Gujarat Chief Minister is scheduled to address captains of industry in the city on April nine.
The meeting would be jointly organised by MCC Chamber of Commerce, Indian Chamber of Commerce and Bharat Chamber of Commerce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka