WB govt denies permission to Modi for civic meeting
Kolkata: A civic reception for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi planned by BJP at a stadium in Kolkata during his visit on April 9 has been denied permission by the Mamata Banerjee government, the party on Tuesday alleged.
The BJP claimed that in mid-March, it was told by authorities of government-run Netaji Indoor Stadium that the venue was available for the event but later on it was told that booking was not open on that date.
"We wanted to give a civic reception to Narendra Modi on April 9 at Netaji Indoor Stadium, but we were told that booking was not available on that date," state BJP spokesman Ritesh Tiwari here said.
State party President Rahul Sinha wrote a letter to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee requesting her to see that the stadium was made available for a civic reception programme for Modi who is a guest.
"But someone from CM`s office informed us that the stadium could not be made available on that day since it was booked by a private party long back," Tiwari said adding that now the state BJP would hold a party workers` convention with Modi at Mahajati Sadan in Kolkata.
The Gujarat Chief Minister is scheduled to address captains of industry in the city on April nine.
The meeting would be jointly organised by MCC Chamber of Commerce, Indian Chamber of Commerce and Bharat Chamber of Commerce.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened