WB govt ‘land scam-tainted’: Mamata
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee Wednesday pooh-poohed the Left Front`s suggestion for
returning 100 acres in Tata Motors` abandoned land at Singur
to help in restarting an industry there and alleged that the
state government was "land scam-tainted".
"The government is absolutely corrupt, land
scam-tainted and blacklisted," Banerjee told reporters here.
She turned down the renewed proposal by Industry
Minister Nirupam Sen that she might accept Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s offer to return 100 acres of land to
unwilling farmers in Singur for the small car factory.
The state government today said it was possible to set
up industry in Singur if Trinamool responded positively to the
state housing minister Gautam Deb`s offer to return 11 per
cent of acquired land at Rajarhat township if the Mamata
Banerjee-led party allowed the Tatas to set up their second
small car unit at the site.
On Rajarhat, she said, "They (state government) will
have to explain why this land scandal has happened as it
cannot deny its responsibility. Rajarhat land scam is big and
we demand a full list of land givers or those whose land was
"We do not want to listen anything from this land
scam-tainted government which has pushed the state`s economy
to the brink of collapse during its 33-year rule," she said.
The Trinamool chief, who declined to react to Deb`s
proposal of returning 11 per cent land at Rajarhat and 10 per
cent in Singur to farmers to pave the way for setting up the
Tata car factory at Singur, said "300 acres were given from
the minister`s quota without notification in violation of
Supreme Court order".
"Land scam involves 25,000 acres at Rajarhat. They
have to tell what land was taken and from whom. We want the
entire list and seek an explanation as to why farmers were
deprived of their land. Land was taken away from farmers
forcibly with the help of goons and guns," she alleged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India