WB govt ‘land scam-tainted’: Mamata
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress chief Mamata
Banerjee Wednesday pooh-poohed the Left Front`s suggestion for
returning 100 acres in Tata Motors` abandoned land at Singur
to help in restarting an industry there and alleged that the
state government was "land scam-tainted".
"The government is absolutely corrupt, land
scam-tainted and blacklisted," Banerjee told reporters here.
She turned down the renewed proposal by Industry
Minister Nirupam Sen that she might accept Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee`s offer to return 100 acres of land to
unwilling farmers in Singur for the small car factory.
The state government today said it was possible to set
up industry in Singur if Trinamool responded positively to the
state housing minister Gautam Deb`s offer to return 11 per
cent of acquired land at Rajarhat township if the Mamata
Banerjee-led party allowed the Tatas to set up their second
small car unit at the site.
On Rajarhat, she said, "They (state government) will
have to explain why this land scandal has happened as it
cannot deny its responsibility. Rajarhat land scam is big and
we demand a full list of land givers or those whose land was
"We do not want to listen anything from this land
scam-tainted government which has pushed the state`s economy
to the brink of collapse during its 33-year rule," she said.
The Trinamool chief, who declined to react to Deb`s
proposal of returning 11 per cent land at Rajarhat and 10 per
cent in Singur to farmers to pave the way for setting up the
Tata car factory at Singur, said "300 acres were given from
the minister`s quota without notification in violation of
Supreme Court order".
"Land scam involves 25,000 acres at Rajarhat. They
have to tell what land was taken and from whom. We want the
entire list and seek an explanation as to why farmers were
deprived of their land. Land was taken away from farmers
forcibly with the help of goons and guns," she alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- 'Sarbjit' Box Office collections: Randeep Hooda-Aishwarya Rai Bachchan starrer mints Rs 8.25 cr!
- Photo alert! Latest pic of Twinkle Khanna with daughter Nitara will surely make you go aww
- Will drag Preeti Menon to court: Maharastra minister Eknath Khadse on 'links' with Dawood
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'