WB Govt rejects proposal for division of districts
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Tuesday
rejected a proposal for division of districts by the
Administrative Reforms Committee.
The committee headed by then chief secretary Amit
Kiran Deb, comprising representatives from IITs, IIMs and ISI
gave 69 proposals, had suggested the division.
This was, however, rejected by the present committee
headed by current Chief Secretary Ashok Mohan Chakraborty, it
member secretary said.
According to the proposal of the Deb committee a
district should comprise of four sub-divisions and each
sub-division should have four blocks.
The present committee, rejecting it, said districts
could not be divided on the basis of mathematics, as there
were other important factors like population and topography.
The proposal to merge the Civil Defence and Disaster
Management were accepted, but the one to bring Fire Services
under the umbrella of PWD and Disaster Management was
rejected, the secretary said.
The proposal to bring mass education under the social
welfare sector was also rejected. Instead it was suggested
that the mass education system would be accelerated through
NGOs and special schools, the secretary said.
The proposal to accelerate government work and avoid
red tapism through e-governance was accepted by the present
The proposals would be sent to Chief Minister
Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee for final approval.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing