WB govt suspends all college union elections for six months
Kolkata: West Bengal government on Monday announced state-wide suspension of college union elections for six months in view of various board examinations, besides the upcoming panchayat elections.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said this was necessary as different board examinations were lined up for the next two to three months, starting from Madrasa examination, and panchayat elections in the state.
It would be difficult for the government to deploy force in all instances together and thus there was no other way but to defer college union elections, she said.
Announcing the decision earlier, state Education Minister Bratya Basu said the season of examinations would start with the Madrasa test followed by ICSC, ISC, CBSE and West Bengal Board Examination, besides various competitive entrance examinations.
"Thus, it would be difficult for the government to arrange for adequate security for examinations and college union elections simultaneously for want of adequate force," Basu said.
The entire process of college elections would remain suspended for the next six months till further order, even if it had begun in some institutions, the minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information