WB: Stepmother sets minor girl on fire
Hooghly: A 14-year-old girl was allegedly set on fire by her stepmother here in the district as she refused to attend her pre-marriage rituals, police said Friday.
The father and stepmother of Roshnara Khatun, had fixed her marriage on Sunday against her wishes and yesterday her stepmother allegedly set her on fire after pouring kerosene when she refused to attend the pre-marriage rituals, police sources said.
Roshnara, a student of class IX, was rushed to Arambagh Sub-Divisional Hospital where doctors said she has suffered 80 per cent burn injuries and her condition was serious, they said.
Meanwhile, an uncle of the girl, Sheikh Alauddin lodged a police complaint against her father Sheikh Ashraful, stepmother Doleara Begum and stepmother`s mother, who are residents of Patul village in Khanakul area of the district.
All the three have been arrested, polices sources added.
The local people claimed that the girl was against her marriage fixed by her parents and wanted to pursue her studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt