WB: Stepmother sets minor girl on fire
Hooghly: A 14-year-old girl was allegedly set on fire by her stepmother here in the district as she refused to attend her pre-marriage rituals, police said Friday.
The father and stepmother of Roshnara Khatun, had fixed her marriage on Sunday against her wishes and yesterday her stepmother allegedly set her on fire after pouring kerosene when she refused to attend the pre-marriage rituals, police sources said.
Roshnara, a student of class IX, was rushed to Arambagh Sub-Divisional Hospital where doctors said she has suffered 80 per cent burn injuries and her condition was serious, they said.
Meanwhile, an uncle of the girl, Sheikh Alauddin lodged a police complaint against her father Sheikh Ashraful, stepmother Doleara Begum and stepmother`s mother, who are residents of Patul village in Khanakul area of the district.
All the three have been arrested, polices sources added.
The local people claimed that the girl was against her marriage fixed by her parents and wanted to pursue her studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam