WB: Stepmother sets minor girl on fire
Hooghly: A 14-year-old girl was allegedly set on fire by her stepmother here in the district as she refused to attend her pre-marriage rituals, police said Friday.
The father and stepmother of Roshnara Khatun, had fixed her marriage on Sunday against her wishes and yesterday her stepmother allegedly set her on fire after pouring kerosene when she refused to attend the pre-marriage rituals, police sources said.
Roshnara, a student of class IX, was rushed to Arambagh Sub-Divisional Hospital where doctors said she has suffered 80 per cent burn injuries and her condition was serious, they said.
Meanwhile, an uncle of the girl, Sheikh Alauddin lodged a police complaint against her father Sheikh Ashraful, stepmother Doleara Begum and stepmother`s mother, who are residents of Patul village in Khanakul area of the district.
All the three have been arrested, polices sources added.
The local people claimed that the girl was against her marriage fixed by her parents and wanted to pursue her studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- LIVE: Pakistan's nuclear weapons may fall into hands of jihadists, fears Hillary Clinton
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’