We are awaiting response from WB govt: SEC on panchayat polls
Kolkata: The State Election Commission is yet to get any response from the West Bengal government regarding the Calcutta High Court`s order on providing the names of 400 observers for the panchayat elections.
"The court had yesterday asked the state government to provide names of 400 observers from the IAS and WBCS executive cadre to us, and also the number of central forces, forces from other states and those from the state for poll duty by today. We are yet to get any response from the state government," SEC secretary Tapas Ray told PTI.
Meanwhile, the state government, which has decided to appeal against the High Court`s Friday order, said it would approach the apex court if a division bench uphelds the order.
"We will move the apex court if the division bench (of the Calcutta High Court) upholds it," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy