We are awaiting response from WB govt: SEC on panchayat polls
Kolkata: The State Election Commission is yet to get any response from the West Bengal government regarding the Calcutta High Court`s order on providing the names of 400 observers for the panchayat elections.
"The court had yesterday asked the state government to provide names of 400 observers from the IAS and WBCS executive cadre to us, and also the number of central forces, forces from other states and those from the state for poll duty by today. We are yet to get any response from the state government," SEC secretary Tapas Ray told PTI.
Meanwhile, the state government, which has decided to appeal against the High Court`s Friday order, said it would approach the apex court if a division bench uphelds the order.
"We will move the apex court if the division bench (of the Calcutta High Court) upholds it," Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open