West Bengal district Congress committees disbanded
Kolkata: Several district and block committees of Congress in West Bengal have been disbanded by PCC chief Adhir Chowdhury following dismal performance in the Lok Sabha polls, sparking protests by party leaders.
Chowdhury said according to the party constitution all posts had become redundant after he was elected the new state Congress chief.
"According to the party constitution all posts became redundant after I became the new chief. The posts were kept vacant as the elections were around the corner. So after the polls these committees were declared redundant," Chowdhury told PTI.
On May 16, the day of counting, Chowdhury had said that the party`s performance was satisfactory in the face of "terror unleashed by Trinamool Congress".
The Congress, which had won six seats in alliance with the Trinamool Congress in 2009, retained four seats.
Monday`s decision by Chowdhury led to protests from party leaders who termed the decision as unilateral.
"All district committees have been declared defunct. If Adhir has taken the decision unilaterally then it is wrong. He doesn`t have the powers to do so," party leader Pradip Ghosh said.
"If he had made the changes following the results, then he too should resign as he is the PCC chief. In his district, Congress lost the seat which was won last time," said a Congress leader on the condition of anonymity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read