West Bengal gang-rape: NCW satisfied with police and administrative action
Suri: The National Commission for Women on Tuesday expressed satisfaction with the police and administrative action following the gang-rape tribal girl on the orders of a kangaroo court in Birbhum district.
After speaking to the the victim at a government-run home here for about 30 minutes, NCW chairperson Mamata Sharma told reporters that she was satisfied with the action of the police and the administration after the matter was brought to its notice.
Sharma said that she would take up with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee the issues of compensation, rehabilitation and security for the 20-year-old tribal girl who was gang-raped on January 21 at Subolpur village.
The woman, she said, had told her that she needed a job.
The NCW chairperson said that although the victim should be compensated, it had not been declared so far.
Earlier in the day, Sharma had criticised the state government for not doing enough for the security of women.
Sharma told reporters in Kolkata that Mamata Banerjee, being a woman, was expected to be more vigilant about the safety of women.
She said that in the context of crimes committed against women, the state government often `ignored` the recommendations of the NCW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling