12 militants killed in Egypt: Official
Cairo: Twelve militants were killed and eleven others arrested on Saturday in raids carried out by the Egyptian army in the country`s North Sinai area.
Army raids killed five militants in Sheikh Zowayed area and destroyed 36 houses and 40 shelters used by the Takfiri groups, spokesperson of the Egyptian Armed Forces, Mohamed Samir Abdel Aziz said.
Another seven Takfiri militants were killed during an exchange of fire while 11 suspects were arrested, he said.
Army also destroyed 5 cars and 12 motorcycles owned by the group.
The military has launched frequent security raids in the area and arrested suspects and demolished houses that it says hosts "terrorist" activity, including facilitating tunnels leading to the Gaza Strip.
Militants attacked a military checkpoint in Al-Wadi Al-Gedid governorate in southern Egypt last week, killing 21 Egyptian border guards and injuring four others.
The guards were killed in exchange of fire with the unknown gunmen, leading to the exploding of the checkpoint`s ammunition storage by rocket-propelled grenades, Samir said.
North Sinai has been the scene of many violent attacks by Islamist militants since January 2011 revolution.
The attacks by Islamists militant targeting police and military increased after the ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi last year.
Many policemen and soldiers have been killed in the attacks including bombings and shootings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi