232 journalists jailed worldwide: NY-based group
New York: A New York-based press-freedom group says a record number of 232 journalists are imprisoned worldwide, an increase of 53 over last year`s tally.
The Committee to Protect Journalists released a report today, saying the total count is the highest since the organisation began conducting worldwide surveys in 1990. The figure was based on the number of journalists behind bars on December 1.
The report says Turkey has the greatest number of journalists behind bars with 49. Iran ranks second-highest with 45 journalists imprisoned.
Turkish TV news editor Mehmet Ali Birand says the Turkish government does not differentiate between freedom of expression and terrorism.
The CPJ also reported that anti-state charges were the most common made against journalists in 2012, including terrorism, treason and subversion.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed