36 killed in Nigeria road accident
Abuja: At least 36 people were killed when a bus collided with an oil tanker that exploded as a result of the accident in southwest Nigeria, officials said on Saturday.
However Nigerian media reports claimed that 60 people were killed in the incident.
"Thirty six persons including children died in the accident involving a petrol tanker, a bus and a lorry along Benin-Ore road (in Edo State in southwest Nigeria)" said Jonas Agwu, the spokesman of Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC).
The collision yesterday caused the tanker to explode and 30 occupants of the bus died while four persons inside the tanker also lost their lives. Two children from a nearby mechanic workshop were also killed in the mishap while three persons were rescued.
A few days ago, 18 persons died after a collision between two buses in northern Nigeria.
The oil rich African country has one of the worst road accident cases on the continent.
The accidents are engendered by bad road networks, drivers` carelessness and poor monitoring and control of speed limits, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing