6 die in stampede from Bogota bar raided by police
Bogota: Colombian authorities say six people died from suffocation or being crushed during a stampede from a crowded bar that police raided.
Federal prosecutors are investigating whether police used excessive force.
Witnesses have told local media that officers sprayed pepper gas when they entered the "Night Club" bar early yesterday, causing the approximately about 100 people inside to join a rush to escape.
National director of investigations for the attorney general`s office Maritza Escobar says the incident happened in the Restrepo neighbourhood on the south side of Colombia`s capital. Escobar says the six victims were smothered or crushed, and police say two other people suffered serious injuries.
Bogota police say the bar had been closed four times previously for bad behaviour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply