6.5 magnitude earthquake strikes off Chile coast
Zee Media Bureau
Santiago: A 6.5 magnitude earthquake has reportedly struck off a Chile coast on Monday. However, no tsumani warning has been issued so far.
The earthquake took place around 600 kilometers from the city of Puerto Rico and at a depth of 10 kms, as per a news agency report.
Chile`s naval seismology office says it was not felt on land. US seismologists originally estimated the magnitude at 6.8.
Chile is one of the world`s most earthquake-prone countries. A magnitude-8.8 quake and the tsunami it unleashed in 2010 killed 551 people and destroyed 220,000 homes. It was so strong it changed time, shortening the Earth`s day slightly by changing the planet`s rotation.
The strongest earthquake ever recorded also happened in Chile, a magnitude-9.5 in 1960.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy