80 Sri Lankans held while trying to migrate to Aus
Colombo: At least 80 Sri Lankans were detained by the navy Wednesday for attempting to illegally migrate to Australia, the navy said.
The trawler in which the detainees were travelling was intercepted by the navy. They were handed over to police for investigation, Xinhua reported.
On May 30, as many as 52 Sri Lankans were detained, and later handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department.
The Australian government has already sent home 1,161 Sri Lankans since August 2012.
Immigration and Citizenship Minister Brendan O`Connor earlier said in Australian capital Canberra that returning the group to Sri Lanka sends a powerful message.
"The Julia Gillard government is making it crystal clear that those who pay smugglers are throwing their money away and risking their lives in the process," O`Connor said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016