Abbas would give up US aid for Palestinian unity
Ramallah: An aide to the Palestinian President says Mahmoud Abbas is making a heavy push for reconciliation with Hamas and is willing to give up hundreds of millions of dollars in US aid if that`s what it takes to forge a Palestinian unity deal.
The comments by Azzam Ahmed indicate that Abbas may be giving up on stalled peace talks with Israel and prefers to pursue unity with Gaza`s Hamas rulers in a push toward independence.
The sides have been divided since Hamas overran the Gaza Strip in 2007, expelling forces loyal to Abbas.
Ahmad said Monday the Palestinians need American money, "but if they use it as a way of pressuring us, we are ready to relinquish that aid," he said.
The US and Israel consider Hamas a terrorist group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing