Abbas would give up US aid for Palestinian unity
Ramallah: An aide to the Palestinian President says Mahmoud Abbas is making a heavy push for reconciliation with Hamas and is willing to give up hundreds of millions of dollars in US aid if that`s what it takes to forge a Palestinian unity deal.
The comments by Azzam Ahmed indicate that Abbas may be giving up on stalled peace talks with Israel and prefers to pursue unity with Gaza`s Hamas rulers in a push toward independence.
The sides have been divided since Hamas overran the Gaza Strip in 2007, expelling forces loyal to Abbas.
Ahmad said Monday the Palestinians need American money, "but if they use it as a way of pressuring us, we are ready to relinquish that aid," he said.
The US and Israel consider Hamas a terrorist group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you