Afghan supply flights suspended from Kyrgyz base: NATO
Kabul: Flights supporting NATO operations in Afghanistan from a Kyrgyzstan air base have been suspended, but Kyrgyz political unrest has not seriously disrupted Afghan military operations, the NATO-led force in Afghanistan said.
The opposition in Kyrgyzstan -- a poor, land-locked central-Asian state north of Afghanistan -- said on Thursday it had seized power and dissolved Parliament after deadly protests forced President Kurmanbek Bakiyev to flee the capital.
The United States operates Manas air base in Kyrgyzstan as one of the main regional hubs for logistical operations to support the war in Afghanistan.
"Our understanding is that Manas relocated some aircraft and temporarily suspended flights in and out of the base. Those actions had no significant impacts on operations or logistical support in Afghanistan," said Lieutenant-Colonel Tadd Sholtis, spokesman for the NATO-led force in Afghanistan.
Manas is one of the main way-stations for troops and supplies to be flown into Afghanistan, and has been particularly busy this year as Washington deploys 30,000 extra troops ordered to Afghanistan by US President Barack Obama in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next