Ahead of polls, US kids vote for Obama as president
Washington: As the US braces for crucial November 6 elections, an unscientific online poll has found more than half a million American children choosing incumbent Barack Obama over his Republican rival Mitt Romney.
The kids participating in the `Nickelodeon: Kids Pick the President` elected Obama as their next president with 65 per cent votes, while Romney received rest of the 35 per cent.
Interstingly, ever since this voting trend began in 1988, the results of kids` polls have turned out to be the same in five out of the six occasions.
Only in 2004, the kids had elected Democrat John Kerry but he later lost the polls.
"Rest of the country does not get to vote for the president till November 6," said a kid appearing on the Nickelodeon website, which organized the voting.
"And the winner of Kids Pick the President is Barack Obama," said another child, announcing the results.
In the 2008 elections, Obama had got 51 per cent of the votes, while his Republican challenger John McCain had received 49 per cent in a survey participated by some 2.2 million votes were cast.
This year the total number of polls were down because Nickelodeon limited went for one vote per electronic device, in order to more "closely replicate" the actual election, and to ensure the results were more "authentic".
The voting took place from October 15 to 22.
Nickelodeon said that Romney had refused to participate in the vote, which was only the second time in its history after Democratic party candidate John Kerry refused to take part in the polls 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?