Al Qaeda on brink of collapse: US officials
Washington: More than two months after
the killing of its leader Osama bin Laden, America`s
counter-terrorism officials believe that al-Qaeda is on the
brink of collapse.
"US counter-terrorism officials are increasingly
convinced that the killing of Osama bin Laden and the toll of
seven years of CIA drone strikes have pushed al Qaeda to the
brink of collapse," The Washington Post reported quoting US
"The assessment reflects a widespread view at the CIA
and other agencies that a relatively small number of
additional blows could effectively extinguish the
Pakistan-based organisation that carried out the Sept. 11,
2001, terrorist attacks an outcome that was seen as a
distant prospect for much of the past decade," it said.
According to the daily, US officials said that
al Qaeda might yet rally and that even its demise would not
end the terrorist threat, which is increasingly driven by
radicalised individuals as well as aggressive affiliates.
Indeed, officials said that al Qaeda`s offshoot in Yemen is
now seen as a greater counter terrorism challenge than the
organisation`s traditional base, it said.
Nevertheless, the top US national security officials
now allude to a potential finish line in the fight against
al Qaeda, a notion they played down before bin Laden was
killed by US forces in a May 2 raid in Pakistan.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India