Al Qaeda plotting poison attack in US
Washington: Terror outfit Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) is planning to attack American food supplies with poisonous chemicals, officials said.
A source "with knowledge of the situation" said authorities have obtained information that indicated a possible plot by the AQAP to target food at hotels and restaurants in the US, perhaps slipping harmful agents into salad bars or buffets, Fox News reported Tuesday.
"We don`t have a specific target or time frame, just the intent," the source said.
Nevertheless, authorities are not convinced that the outfit has the capability to actually carry out such an attack, the source added.
CBS News recently reported that the plot may involve the use of ricin or cyanide.
Officials from the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Agriculture, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have briefed corporate security officers in the hotel and restaurant industries about the potential threat, CBS News said.
The White House`s chief counter-terrorism adviser, John Brennan, has described AQAP as "now the most operationally active node of the Al Qaeda network".
Brennan, however, said they have put "appropriate resources in place" to protect against attacks during the current holiday season.
On Christmas Day last year, Nigerian national Umar F. Abdulmutallab tried to detonate his explosives-laden underwear over Detroit. He was allegedly trained and equipped by the AQAP.
In October this year, two explosives-laden packages were sent from Yemen to the US, but the packages were intercepted overseas after Saudi intelligence officials shared information about the plot.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata