Al Shabaab confirms members killed in Kenya mall attack
Mogadishu: Islamist group Al Shabaab has said its fighters who attacked the Westgate shopping mall in Kenya`s capital Nairobi in September were killed in the raid, contradicting earlier reports that some of them escaped.
The Somalia based radical group made the announcement Tuesday on an Islamist website, Xinhua reported.
At least 67 shoppers and security agents were killed and 175 others wounded in the four-day siege from Sep 21.
Authorities also said security forces killed four attackers to free hostages.
"The martyrdom brigades were brothers who have volunteered to enter into enemy ranks and cause havoc before being killed by the enemy," Al-Shabaab said in a special edition of its online magazine.
This is the clearest indication from the group that its men died in the attack on the upscale shopping mall.
The Al Qaeda-linked group also denied that the attackers attempted to flee from the mall as Kenyan special forces closed in on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy