Al Shabaab confirms members killed in Kenya mall attack
Mogadishu: Islamist group Al Shabaab has said its fighters who attacked the Westgate shopping mall in Kenya`s capital Nairobi in September were killed in the raid, contradicting earlier reports that some of them escaped.
The Somalia based radical group made the announcement Tuesday on an Islamist website, Xinhua reported.
At least 67 shoppers and security agents were killed and 175 others wounded in the four-day siege from Sep 21.
Authorities also said security forces killed four attackers to free hostages.
"The martyrdom brigades were brothers who have volunteered to enter into enemy ranks and cause havoc before being killed by the enemy," Al-Shabaab said in a special edition of its online magazine.
This is the clearest indication from the group that its men died in the attack on the upscale shopping mall.
The Al Qaeda-linked group also denied that the attackers attempted to flee from the mall as Kenyan special forces closed in on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand