Arab League chief Mussa to run for Egypt president
Cairo: Arab League chief Amr Mussa
said on Sunday he plans to run for president in his native Egypt
after a popular uprising that toppled veteran strongman Hosni
Mubarak, the official MENA agency reported.
"I intend to run in the next presidential election,
and an (official) announcement will be made at the right
time," MENA quoted him as saying.
Mussa said a new Egyptian figure would be picked
"very soon" to head the 22-member pan-Arab organisation.
The Arab League secretary general`s name has often
been mentioned as a potential new leader of Egypt.
As nationwide protests raged to demand Mubarak`s
ouster, Mussa said he had no objection to running for
president in the Arab world`s most populous country.
"I am of course at the service of my country... I
am ready to serve as a citizen who has the right to be a
candidate," he told France`s Europe 1 radio before making an
appearance at Tahrir Square, the focal point of the
Mussa, 74, a former foreign minister, is a dynamic
figure with a quick sense of humour and charisma that often
eclipsed that of his former boss Mubarak.
His popularity stems from his strong stands against
Israel and language that appeals to the Arab street.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack