Argentina arrests 16 police officers over strike
Buenos Aires: Argentina has arrested 16 police officers for their alleged role in a December strike that led to looting.
The agents were held yesterday on a request by a local prosecutor. They`re accused of disobeying authority and inciting crime. They face up to six years in prison.
Police in Cordoba province went on strike arguing that their salaries were too low to cover basic needs under double-digit inflation.
Cabinet chief Jorge Capitanich has blamed a lack of police protection for the subsequent looting that caused 13 deaths, hundreds of injuries and more than USD 90 million in business losses.
Capitanich said 1,000 federal agents will be transferred to Cordoba province, adding that the decision was made after four police officers were suspended for inciting a new stoppage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery