Armed robbers stage luxury jewel heist in Zurich: Police
Geneva: Two armed robbers raided a jewellery store on Zurich`s posh Bahnhofstrasse in broad daylight on Tuesday, making off with jewellery and watches worth more than USD 110,000, police said.
Brandishing a handgun, the men rushed into the shop of prestigious Swiss jeweller Chopard, smashing display cases and snatching up wrist watches, rings and earrings, Zurich police said in a statement.
The men, one of them wearing a motorcycle helmet throughout the robbery, quickly fled the scene on a motorbike, making off with loot worth "well over 100,000 Swiss francs (USD 110,000, 82,000 euros), the statement said.
No one was injured in the heist.
Chopard was also one of the victims of a string of robberies at the French Riviera resort of Cannes last May during the film festival there.
Thieves broke into the hotel room of an American employee of the luxury brand while she was out for the evening and stole jewellery worth USD 1.4 million that was to be loaned to movie stars.
In a scene straight from a Hollywood film, a strongbox containing the jewellery was ripped out of the wardrobe and carried off.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?