Army commander in South Sudan oil-state `joins rebels`
Juba: A top South Sudan army commander based in the key oil-producing Unity state appears to have defected to rebel forces, the country`s army spokesman said.
"We have lost contact with the commander... And there are reports he has joined the forces of Riek Machar," army spokesman Philip Aguer said on Friday, but he added that government forces were still in control of the area.
Fighting broke out last Sunday in the capital Juba between troops backing President Salva Kiir and those of Machar, his former vice president, but has since spread elsewhere in the country.
The spokesman said Major General James Koang Choul, commander of a division of the Sudan People`s Liberation Army (SPLA) that controls Unity state, appeared to have defected alone.
"The members of the SPLA have not followed him, and we remain in control of Unity," Aguer said.
Aguer said shooting was reported overnight yesterday to Saturday in Unity state`s capital Bentiu, with oil companies evacuating workers.
The loss of the oil fields to rebels would be a major blow to the young nation.
Aguer said shooting was reported overnight Friday to Saturday in Unity state`s capital Bentiu, with oil companies evacuating workers.
Chinese and Malaysian companies are among those who operate oil blocks in Unity state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister