At least eight dead in Nairobi landslide
Nairobi: Massive boulders crashed onto houses
on Wednesday in Mathare, a Nairobi slum, killing at least eight
people after a night of heavy rains, police and the Kenyan Red
"Eight people have died in this disaster. Six bodies were
retrieved from under the rubble, another died on the way to
hospital while the eighth died in hospital," a police officer
involved in the rescue operation said.
Hopes of retrieving any more people alive from the rubble
faded late in the afternoon after bulldozers cleared the site.
"We do not believe that there are any more bodies here,"
the head of the Kenyan disaster management service Vincent
The Kenya Red Cross said rescue teams` efforts had been
hampered by heavy rains, lack of appropriate machinery and
crowds of people milling around.
The Red Cross said more than 40 houses were destroyed in
the sprawling slums in the north of the capital when huge
boulders came crashing onto them early today morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH