Male: Maldivian President Mohammed Waheed Hassan has directed the police to make all efforts to nab the culprits responsible for the attack on the car of the Indian High Commissioner, assuring India that no effort will be spared to catch them.
"The President has directed the police to nab the culprits responsible for the attack on Indian High Commissioner Rajiv Shahare`s car and the police is making all efforts to catch them," Waheed`s Press Secretary Masood Imad told PTI today.
Meanwhile, the Indian High Commission, in an official statement said, "While we forcefully condemn the act, it is also a matter of great concern that such acts impact on our otherwise close and robust bilateral ties. We hope that the culprit and the people behind this cowardly act are apprehended and brought to justice.
"It would be pertinent to recall that the spouse of an Indian High Commission official was attacked earlier in January this year. The case continues to remain unresolved."
Referring to the attack on the car on October 28 when it was parked in front of the Indian High Commission, the statement said, "The Indian High Commission security guards observed on the close circuit TV that the culprit purposefully approached the Indian flag car, pelted two metallic objects at the car one of which smashed the rear windshield, and ran away thereafter.
"Significantly, besides several other bystanders across the road, a policeman also witnessed the entire act but did not react.
It is evident that there was malicious intention to cause damage to the property and perhaps to the occupant of the car. Importantly, the High Commissioner was in the car just a few minutes before the attack."
However, the High Commission said it "appreciates the statements of support received from various quarters within Maldives, including from the President`s Office, former President Mohamed Nasheed, former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom and Presidential candidate, Abdulla Yameen."