Baghdad suicide bombers kill 26 in crowded street
Baghdad: Suicide bombers in two cars killed
26 people and wounded 53 in the Iraqi capital Baghdad Sunday
when they drove down a crowded street and blew themselves up
simultaneously, security officials said.
The morning bombings, which came hot on the heels of
attacks late yesterday that killed seven people and wounded
20, underlined the dangers of a resurgence of violence amid a
persistent political vacuum more than three months after a
The bombers struck outside a bank in a major thoroughfare
in the mainly Sunni Arab Mansur district that provides access
to the fortified Green Zone government and embassy compound in
the city centre from western Iraq.
"The report of the bomb disposal team confirmed that the
two attacks that happened in Mansur today were carried out by
suicide bombers who drove the car bombs," the capital`s
operations command said.
"Each car was loaded with 80 kilogrammes of ammonium
nitrate," the command said in a statement.
"They were detonated simultaneously. They targeted the
Iraq Bank for Commerce."
The bank is the conduit for much of the government`s
foreign exchange transactions and its dealings with investors.
"The bank branch was seriously damaged," a security
official told a news agency.
Fire from a Katyusha multiple rocket launcher killed
three people and wounded four in Al-Obeidi, an anarchic Shiite
slum district in the far east of the capital beyond the
sprawling Shiite bastion of Sadr City, an official said.
And in the Zayouna neighbourhood of central Baghdad,
police found the bodies of five women. A security official
said they were believed to have been killed two or three weeks
There has been a spate of attacks by hardline Islamists
against women accused of breaking the mores of their
ultra-strict brand of the Muslim religion.
Government figures showed that 337 people were killed as
a result of violence in May, the fourth time this year that
the overall death toll has been higher than in the
corresponding month of 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test