Bahrain court jails man over Muhammad wife insult
Manama: Bahrain`s attorney general says a 19-year-old man has been sentenced to two-years in jail for defaming one of the Prophet Muhammad`s wives.
Abdulrahman al-Sayyed announced the court decision the state-run Bahrain News Agency last evening. He said the court heard how the unnamed man "posted filthy and depraved comments" on a website that slandered Muhammad`s wife Aisha.
The case will be seen by some as an attack on freedom of expression, but there is little tolerance in the Muslim world for anything seen as offensive to the Prophet or his family.
In April, a Tunisian court sentenced two men to seven-and-half years in prison for "insulting the sacred" after they posted Facebook images of the prophet purportedly being intimate with Aisha.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai