Bahrain court jails man over Muhammad wife insult
Manama: Bahrain`s attorney general says a 19-year-old man has been sentenced to two-years in jail for defaming one of the Prophet Muhammad`s wives.
Abdulrahman al-Sayyed announced the court decision the state-run Bahrain News Agency last evening. He said the court heard how the unnamed man "posted filthy and depraved comments" on a website that slandered Muhammad`s wife Aisha.
The case will be seen by some as an attack on freedom of expression, but there is little tolerance in the Muslim world for anything seen as offensive to the Prophet or his family.
In April, a Tunisian court sentenced two men to seven-and-half years in prison for "insulting the sacred" after they posted Facebook images of the prophet purportedly being intimate with Aisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened