Bahrain court jails man over Muhammad wife insult
Manama: Bahrain`s attorney general says a 19-year-old man has been sentenced to two-years in jail for defaming one of the Prophet Muhammad`s wives.
Abdulrahman al-Sayyed announced the court decision the state-run Bahrain News Agency last evening. He said the court heard how the unnamed man "posted filthy and depraved comments" on a website that slandered Muhammad`s wife Aisha.
The case will be seen by some as an attack on freedom of expression, but there is little tolerance in the Muslim world for anything seen as offensive to the Prophet or his family.
In April, a Tunisian court sentenced two men to seven-and-half years in prison for "insulting the sacred" after they posted Facebook images of the prophet purportedly being intimate with Aisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city