Barack Obama apologises to Kamala Harris for his `sexist` remark
Washington: After causing a stir for calling Kamala Harris as "the best-looking attorney general", US President Barack Obama has now apologised to her.
On Thursday, Obama had said, "She is brilliant and she is dedicated and she is tough, and she is exactly what you`d want in anybody who is administering the law, and making sure that everybody is getting a fair shake," praising Harris, who is the first woman and first Indian-American to be elected as the Attorney-General of California.
"She also happens to be by far the best-looking attorney general in the country -- Kamala Harris is here," Obama said amidst applause.
"It`s true. Come on," he said amidst laughter. "She is a great friend and has just been a great supporter for many, many years," Obama said at a fundraising event in California, on Thursday.
Daughter of an Indian mother, Shyamala Gopalan, a breast cancer specialist who emigrated from Chennai to the United States in 1960 and a Jamaican-American father, Harris, 48, is the first female African-American and Asian-American attorney general in California, as well as the first ethnic Indian-American attorney general in the United States.
According to Politico, certainly, Obama meant no insult, but in singling out Harris for her looks, Obama joins a long list of public figures who just can`t seem to let an attractive woman`s looks go without comment.
In 2011, FOX News chief Roger Ailes told a news agency that he hired Sarah Palin because "she was hot and got ratings", Politico reported.
Last year, Republican attorney general candidate David Freed said Democratic opponent Kathleen Kane`s strengths were that she`s "pretty and has a lot of money", according to Pennsylvania`s Daily Review.
Obama came under some fire back in 2008 when he referred to a female reporter as "sweetie" and told her to hold a question for a press availability, the ABC news reported.
Obama`s comment on Harris soon became a buzz word on social media. On Twitter #KamalaHarris became very popular with people commenting on the comment.
Harris is often described as the "female Barack Obama" and is seen as a potential gubernatorial candidate for California.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees