Barack Obama concedes for Congress vote on Syria strikes
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Washington: Amidst the anticipations on the US`s planned strikes in Syria, the US President Barack Obama on Saturday said that Congress will debate and vote in the matter.
The president in his speech from White House Rose Garden said that he has discussed the proposed strikes with Congressional leaders and will seek their authorisation.
The US had claimed Assad regime`s role in the August 21, 2013 chemical attacks.
Yesterday, Britain`s President David Cameron had backed out from supporting US government on the proposed strikes on Syria. However, France has since beginning extended its support to the US.
Obama also said that the military strikes could begin
Sunday, next week or very shortly. However, the US President made no comments
on whether the strikes will be carried in case the Congress rejects the action.
The UN experts on Saturday reached Netherlands with
the samples of the chemical attacks which were carried near Damascus suburb.
The samples would be sent for tests in various laboratories in Europe.
The US government had been positioning its Navy
closer to Syria border. The Syrian government on the other hand claims to be
prepared for any invasion.
Several Syria residents have escaped to Lebanon fearing
the US strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai