Barack Obama concedes for Congress vote on Syria strikes
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Washington: Amidst the anticipations on the US`s planned strikes in Syria, the US President Barack Obama on Saturday said that Congress will debate and vote in the matter.
The president in his speech from White House Rose Garden said that he has discussed the proposed strikes with Congressional leaders and will seek their authorisation.
The US had claimed Assad regime`s role in the August 21, 2013 chemical attacks.
Yesterday, Britain`s President David Cameron had backed out from supporting US government on the proposed strikes on Syria. However, France has since beginning extended its support to the US.
Obama also said that the military strikes could begin
Sunday, next week or very shortly. However, the US President made no comments
on whether the strikes will be carried in case the Congress rejects the action.
The UN experts on Saturday reached Netherlands with
the samples of the chemical attacks which were carried near Damascus suburb.
The samples would be sent for tests in various laboratories in Europe.
The US government had been positioning its Navy
closer to Syria border. The Syrian government on the other hand claims to be
prepared for any invasion.
Several Syria residents have escaped to Lebanon fearing
the US strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video