Barack Obama concedes for Congress vote on Syria strikes
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Washington: Amidst the anticipations on the US`s planned strikes in Syria, the US President Barack Obama on Saturday said that Congress will debate and vote in the matter.
The president in his speech from White House Rose Garden said that he has discussed the proposed strikes with Congressional leaders and will seek their authorisation.
The US had claimed Assad regime`s role in the August 21, 2013 chemical attacks.
Yesterday, Britain`s President David Cameron had backed out from supporting US government on the proposed strikes on Syria. However, France has since beginning extended its support to the US.
Obama also said that the military strikes could begin
Sunday, next week or very shortly. However, the US President made no comments
on whether the strikes will be carried in case the Congress rejects the action.
The UN experts on Saturday reached Netherlands with
the samples of the chemical attacks which were carried near Damascus suburb.
The samples would be sent for tests in various laboratories in Europe.
The US government had been positioning its Navy
closer to Syria border. The Syrian government on the other hand claims to be
prepared for any invasion.
Several Syria residents have escaped to Lebanon fearing
the US strikes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row